Associate Consultant | Advisory Services
Advisory Services Team
As trusted advisors and expert pro bono practitioners, Taproot’s Advisory Services team enables and delivers the highest quality pro bono service to social good organizations and sets the standard of excellence for the field by demonstrating, innovating, and sharing pro bono best practices.
The Advisory Services team provides:
Pro Bono Strategy & Advisement: We design and develop pro bono programs that maximize the impact potential of our clients, including companies, foundations, and other institutions.
Pro Bono Program Service Delivery: We implement pro bono programs that connect social good organizations and skilled volunteers by leveraging our extensive pro bono expertise.
Pro Bono Field Building: We develop tools and resources that enable pro bono users and practitioners to provide high quality pro bono services and share them with the field through convenings or thought leadership.
The Associate Consultant is an emerging practitioner and pro-bono subject matter expert. The Associate Consultant has a learning and support role, working with engagement leads on a portfolio of client engagements, creating deliverables, providing research and data analysis, and supporting the execution of practice-building projects. This is a remote position with some travel required.
Responsibilities and Duties
The responsibilities and duties of the Associate Consultant consist of (but are not limited to):
Client Service Delivery (75%)
- Support a portfolio of 4–8 external engagements, helping to ensure that work is completed on time, in scope, and at the highest level of quality.
- Provide support on engagements primarily through project management, deliverable development, research, and data analysis. Create, manage, and deliver materials including project workplans, communications, trainings, surveys and impact evaluation protocols.
- Support engagement lead in managing client relationships.
Practice Building/Training (15-25%)
- Contribute to internal projects that help the Advisory Services team execute its work more effectively. Projects may be related to business development, marketing and communications, DEIA, strategic operations, or program innovation.
- Gather, analyze, and share data on Advisory Services programming. Develop and share recommendations for new technology, process improvements, program materials, etc.
- Collaborate with other Taproot teams and departments to develop or execute organization-wide strategies and initiatives related to the areas referenced above.
Field Building (0-5%)
- Assist in the development of resources that help build the field of pro bono. Resources could include tools, presentations, or original research that equip pro bono practitioners and users with best practices and insights. Resource development will likely require partnering with Strategic Partnerships and Marketing & Communications and may include co-developing content with external partners.
- Push the field of pro bono forward by contributing to the development of thought leadership, including case studies, resources, webinars, convenings, and other content, as requested.
- Support the execution of the Pro Bono Summit, including liaising with potential speakers, informing content, etc.
Strategic Direction and Vision (0-5%)
- Inform the strategic direction of Taproot’s Advisory Services team by participating in strategic planning and implementation. This includes helping to assess team performance and supporting internal initiatives and decision-making that help build and support our practice.
- Provide strategic input to inform engagement strategy.
Team Management and Performance (as requested)
- Train team members by supporting onboarding sessions and team upskilling sessions.
- Support the recruitment process for new Advisory Services as team members.
- Minimum of one year of relevant experience in the nonprofit, corporate, consulting, and/or other sectors. Taproot is dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with non-traditional workplace experiences and backgrounds.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and/or facilitation skills.
- Strong project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, participate in consensus-style decision making, and discern when to take individual initiative as required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Moderate travel may be required (~10-15%).
Taproot Core Performance Competencies
Interpersonal Skills: Has knowledge and understanding of the needs and requirements of the job, as well as its systems and processes. Understands how the job impacts other areas of the department and the Company. Is sought after by others for expertise in their field.
Written Communication Skills: Work is thorough and complete. Shows attention to detail and produces work that is consistently free of errors. Sets high personal standards and monitors, evaluates, and adjusts own work to ensure those standards are met.
Collaboration: Effectively manages a defined workload. Sees tasks through from concept to completion. Prioritizes tasks accurately, identifying and addressing those that are most critical. Demonstrates persistence in spite of obstacles. Demonstrates flexibility inside and outside of the department.
Critical Thinking: Works independently and seeks solutions by using resources efficiently and effectively. Takes charge in the absence of detailed instructions.
Innovation: Creates new ideas by thinking outside of the box and takes action to implement. Actively pursues growth and development by seeking and accepting feedback and learning from others.
Project Management: Accomplishes tasks and submits work in a timely manner. Accepts responsibility for the outcome of one’s work and decisions made. Reports to work on scheduled days/times and attends required meetings, calls and other business obligations on time. Understands purposes, objectives, practices, and procedures of the department. Upholds Company policies, procedures, corporate governance and utilizes fair and consistent business practices.
Problem Solving: Assembles all available facts and considers alternatives before making decisions. Is creative in formulating and implementing solutions to difficult issues. Makes wise, fair, and facts-based judgments and decisions.
Embodying Taproot’s Values: Understands, communicates, and acts according to Taproot’s values.
Job-Specific Performance Competencies (Outside of Core)
Client Management/Service: Utilizes techniques required to develop, maintain, and manage trusting business relationships with clients and partner organizations. Delivers high quality service and identifies new opportunities.
Consulting: Partners with clients to identify and resolve complex or sensitive issues.
Attention to Detail: Carefully and thoroughly attends to details and pursues high quality when completing tasks.
Verbal/Presentation: Conveys ideas and facts using language the audience will best understand. Formally delivers information to groups.
Facilitation: Enables cooperative and productive group interactions.
Deliverable Development: Able to identify both short-term and long-term objectives and set timelines for completion of objectives in a reasonable and logical order.
Influencing/Persuading Others: Influences and persuades others to become or remain excited and committed to furthering Taproot’s objectives.
Creativity/Innovation: Generates new ideas, challenges norms, takes risks, supports change, encourages innovation, solves problems creatively.
Annual salary starting at $50,000. This starting salary is reflective of a position based in Colorado and would be subject to a locality adjustment.
This is a remote position with some travel required. Taproot is accepting applications from candidates based anywhere in the continental United States.